[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Jan 26 05:00:01 PST 2010

Date/Time: Tue 2010-01-26 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Stephen Godfrey (Carleton)

Title:     Discovery and Identification of s-channel Resonances at the LHC

Abstract: s-channel resonances are predicted by many models of Physics Beyond the Standard Model and it
is quite possible that such an object will be discovered in the early years of the LHC program.
If this occurs, the task will be to understand its origins.  A brief survey of models that
predict s-channel resonances will be given, concentrating mainly on extra neutral gauge
bosons (Z' 's) arising from extended gauge theories.  This will be followed by a description
of how to search for a Z' and the resulting Z' discovery reach of the LHC.  I will describe
various diagnostic measurements to study Z' 's and describe some new observables we have
proposed that can distinguish between models that take advantage of the ability to tag
3rd generation fermions.