[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Mar 17 05:00:03 PDT 2010

Date/Time: Wed 2010-03-17 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Martin Berninger (Institut für Experimentalphysik, Universität Innsbruck, Austria)

Title:     Efimov-physics in ultracold atomic gases

Abstract: In 1970, the young Russian physicist V. Efimov focused his attention on the situation of three identical bosons with resonant two-body interactions. He realized that in this particular situation the three-body problem becomes universal in the sense that details of the short-range interaction become irrelevant except for an additional quantity, the so-called three-body parameter. The problem is then fully characterized by just two parameters, no matter whether nucleons, atoms, or other resonantly interacting particles are considered-Efimov found a series of “giant” trimer states that exist in the absence of any two-body bound state. These Efimov-trimers connect from the tree particle threshold to the particle-dimer threshold and feature a surprising geometric scaling law, containing a factor 22.7.

In my talk I want to discuss the Efimov-scenario and the role of universality in few-body physics. I will speak about the control knobs in ultracold gases, were the collision energies are extremenly low (typically in the pico-eV range), which allowed to enter the fascinating world of Efimov physics. I will present recent experiments showing evidences for Efimov features as well as for the extended scenario involving four particle states.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.