[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 10:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Apr 15 05:00:03 PDT 2010

Date/Time: Thu 2010-04-15 at 10:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Petr Navrátil (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)

Title:     Structure and reactions of light nuclei from the first principles

Abstract: The exact treatment of nuclei starting from the constituent nucleons and the fundamental interactions among them has been a long-standing goal in nuclear physics. At present, progress on the theoretical front is urgent to match the major experimental advances in the study of exotic nuclei at the radioactive beam facilities.

I will describe recent developments in ab initio no-core shell model (NCSM)  calculations for light nuclei. I will focus on results obtained with forces derived within the chiral effective field theory and highlight importance of the three-nucleon interaction for nuclear structure. Also, I will discuss our effort to build a new ab initio many-body approach  capable of describing simultaneously both bound and scattering states in light nuclei, by combining the resonating-group method (RGM)  with the ab initio no-core shell model. In this way, we complement a microscopic-cluster technique with the use of realistic interactions, and a microscopic and consistent description of the nucleon clusters. I will present results for nucleon scattering on light nuclei, including n-3H, n- and p-4He, n-7Li and p-12C. Finally, I will discuss the first results of the d-3H fusion calculation obtained within our ab initio NCSM/RGM approach and our progress towards the calculation of 3He-alpha scattering.

Stimulants will be available 15 minutes before the talk.