[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 12:30

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu May 20 05:00:03 PDT 2010

Date/Time: Thu 2010-05-20 at 12:30

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Mark Ku (MIT)

Title:     Exploring Strongly Interacting Fermi Systems with Cold Atoms

Abstract: Experiments with cold gases of fermionic atoms allow to realize strongly interacting Fermi systems that have model character. They thus provide new insight into other types of fermionic matter such as neutron stars, the quark gluon plasma of the early universe, and high-Tc superconductors. The experiments are highly controllable, and thus allow for accurate and quantitative comparison with theory. In this talk, I will discuss the current progress in understanding the thermodynamics of strongly interacting Fermi gases. I will begin with an introduction to this problem, and give a survey of the theoretical works. I will then describe the current MIT experiment on the equation of state in this novel form of matter, and draw a comparison of the experimental data with theoretical results. The close interaction of theory and experiments will be emphasized throughout the talk.