[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Oct 28 05:00:03 PDT 2010

Date/Time: Thu 2010-10-28 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Helen Nadel (UBC Radiology and BC Children's Hospital)

Title:     WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TRACER ONCE IT LEAVES TRIUMF?: A PEDIATRIC PERSPECTIVE ON PET-CT

Abstract: PET-CT imaging has been available clinically in British Columbia for over 5 years. While most of the patients scanned have been adults, almost 600 pediatric cases have been performed. So while it really all starts with the production of the radiopharmaceutical at TRIUMF, what really happens after the tracer leaves your area?

As with adults, the main indication for clinical imaging using PET tracers is in oncology. Children with tumors such as lymphoma, primary bone and soft tissue tumors, kidney tumors, neural crest tumors, adrenal tumors, liver tumors, and brain tumors have all been imaged. The scans are done when the child is diagnosed to determine extent of disease. A mid-treatment evaluation can be performed to see if there has been response to therapy or if potentially the treatment needs to be changed. How the child responds on PET-CT evaluation after initially partial treatment can also be a measure of potential overall survival. End of treatment evaluation confirms that the child has responded to treatment or detects early recurrence. It also provides a baseline for potential future evaluation.

It is not only about who and when we image but about how we image. Both the PET and CT parts of the examination expose the child to ionizing radiation. We have adapted our protocols to ensure we are using the appropriate amount of radiotracer, and reducing CT exposure where possible.

Most of our PET-CT work is done with 18F-FDG.  We have also used 18-F fluorodopa for neuroendocrine tumors and for hyperinsulinemia of the newborn. There is however, a great potential to use other radiotracers for imaging anoxia, proliferation and apoptosis in oncologic applications. Other indications for PET-CT in pediatrics would include neurologic applications for epilepsy, psychiatric and neurologic disorders, inflammation imaging, cardiac imaging, and using NaF sodium fluoride bone scans to replace conventional gamma camera bone scintigraphy.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.