[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Accelerator Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Nov 10 05:00:02 PST 2010

Date/Time: Wed 2010-11-10 at 14:00

Location:  ISAC II Conf Rm

Speaker:   Peter Gumplinger (TRIUMF)

Title:     GEANT4: a simulation toolkit

Abstract: Geant4 is a Monte Carlo simulation toolkit, describing the interactions of particles with matter. It is widely used in high energy/nuclear physics, accelerator physics, space science and medical physics, thanks to its sophisticated physics components coupled with advanced functionality in geometry description. Geant4 is also the name of a world wide collaboration of physicists and software engineers who continue to develop code, maintain it, and provide user support and tutorials. Triumf has been a collaborating institute since 1996. We are responsible for the optical photon physics capabilities and aspects of tracking in magnetic fields and hadron physics. I'll give an introduction to Geant4, its functionality, key capabilities and physics models and list a number of applications and software tools that have been built on top of Geant4.