[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Thu Jan 6 05:00:03 PST 2011

Date/Time: Thu 2011-01-06 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Andrew Goertzen (University of Manitoba)

Title:     The PET/CT Imaging Research Program at the University of Manitoba: From Instrumentation to Clinical Applications

Abstract: The PET/CT imaging program at the University of Manitoba was established in 2005 and has grown to presently include a clinical PET/CT camera, a dedicated preclinical PET system, a medical cyclotron and radiochemistry facility and a PET imaging instrumentation research group.  Our research program at the University of Manitoba focuses on three central areas: Developing new imaging hardware and software for PET and CT imaging. We are developing a compact geometry PET system that can operate on a laboratory benchtop and is suitable for mouse imaging.  For this project we have been validating GATE Monte Carlo simulations of compact ring systems with a particular focus on modeling the intrinsic radioactivity present in LYSO and LSO scintillator crystals.  At present, we are evaluating the spatial and energy resolution of our proposed detector design through a combination of simulation and benchtop detector measurements. Applying imaging capabilities to studying animal models of human disease. Together with collaborators from the NRC Institute for Biodiagnostics we are using preclinical MR and PET imaging techniques to study stem cell repair of the damaged myocardium in a rat model of congestive heart failure.  We have characterized the uptake and retention of 18F-FDG in rat adipose derived stem cells and have begun to quantify the retention of these cells in the
myocardium.

Improving the delivery of clinical PET imaging services. Being the only PET imaging centre in the Province of Manitoba, we are acutely conscious of maximizing our patient throughput and camera uptime. Our research in this area has focused on optimizing patient scheduling protocols and examining the problem of defective block detectors in clinical PET systems.

Stimulants will be available 15 minutes before the talk.