[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Jan 18 05:00:02 PST 2011

Date/Time: Tue 2011-01-18 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   George Papadimitriou (U Tennessee)

Title:     Open quantum system description of charge radii in Halo nucle

Abstract: We calculated the $^{6,8}$He charge radii in the framework of the Gamow Shell Model (GSM). The charge radius reflects both the size of the halo, due to the motion of the alpha-core around the nuclear center of mass (CoM), and also provides us with information on how the several subsystems interact with each other. The motivation for this work was given by the recent very precise measurements of $^{6,8}$He, $^{11}$Li and $^{11}$Be charge radii.  In our GSM calculations we used a Hamiltonian free from spurious CoM motion by adopting an intrinsic set of coordinates. We found that for $^{6}$He the charge radius is very sensitive to i) the halo extent, namely the binding of the system and ii) the $p_{3/2}$ occupation. This observation will help us to constrain our Hamiltonian and construct an effective interaction in the p and p-sd shells. Additionally, we calculated the contribution
of the spin-orbit charge density to the total charge density of the Helium Halo systems, and we noticed that it is an important quantity which should not be neglected.
We also performed an application of the Density Matrix Renormalization Group (DMRG) truncation algorithm to calculate the charge radius of $^8$He. This was the first application of DMRG to calculate observables other than energy. The results were very promising and they open a window in applying GSM plus DMRG to heavier systems $^{11}$Li and $^{11}$Be