[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Tue Feb 8 05:00:00 PST 2011

Date/Time: Tue 2011-02-08 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Clifford Cheung (UC Berkeley)

Title:     Collider Probes of Dark Matter Genesis

Abstract: The standard picture of WIMP DM has been remarkably
successful.  At the same time, it is crucial that we also consider the
full, unchartered space of DM theories and their phenomenological
consequences.  To this end, we perform a systematic cosmological study
of a broad framework in which the visible sector is coupled, albeit
very weakly, to a hidden sector which contains DM.  We show that DM
can arise through a handful of physically distinct mechanisms. Much
like standard freeze-out, where the abundance of DM depends only on
the annihilation cross-section of the DM particle, these mechanisms
depend on a very small subset of physical parameters, many of which
may be accessed directly at the LHC.  In particular, we show that each
DM production mechanism is associated with a distinctive window in
lifetimes and cross-sections for particles which may be produced in
the near future at the LHC.  We also discuss how similar collider
handles might be used as a direct probe of the origin of neutrino
masses.