[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Accelerator Seminar today at 14:00

postmaster at admin.triumf.ca postmaster at admin.triumf.ca
Wed Feb 23 05:00:03 PST 2011

Date/Time: Wed 2011-02-23 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Andreas Adelmann (Paul Scherrer Institute)

Title:     Precise Beam Dynamics Modeling of Large and Complicated Accelerator Structures

Abstract: In space charge dominated regimes non-linear forces acting over large spatial and temporal
scales render precise beam dynamics simulation a challenging task. Other possibly important
physics processes to be considered are: collimation including secondary effects and interaction
from neighboring turns. For accurate field solutions and the precise calculation of quantities such
as emittance, controlled and uncontrolled losses, sufficient particle statistics together with
corresponding spatial and temporal resolution is required.

Besides the traditional beam dynamics problems I will present our latest results w.r.t. dark current and multipacting modeling, using a non stationary multipacting model.

These requirements call for state-of-the-art numerical algorithms and efficient parallel implementation. Many of the above mentioned challenges are met by the beam dynamics code OPAL (Object Oriented Parallel Accelerator Library). I will touch on physics and numerical modeling questions with particular emphasis on the implementation on high performance computing architectures.

A short overview of the program and its unique features will be presented. Examples of OPAL simulations includes space charge studies on high-intensity proton cyclotrons and dark current and multipacting modeling.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.