[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri Dec 16 05:00:01 PST 2011

Date/Time: Fri 2011-12-16 at 14:00

Location:  NRC

Speaker:   Alex Koutsman (TRIUMF)

Title:     Supersymmetry searches in ATLAS -  a brief overview

Abstract: After one and a half years of the Large Hadron Collider running at 7 TeV, no new physics has been discovered. Supersymmetry (SUSY) was one of the most favourite extensions of the Standard Model of particle physics at the start of the LHC. Consensus was that discovery was right around the corner, but careful analysis of the first 1 inverse femtobarn of data has shown no deviations from the Standard Model predictions. Perhaps we were too optimistic, but perhaps we also did not look in the right place. In this seminar I will discuss some of the SUSY analyses performed by the ATLAS experiment, that set the most stringent exclusion limits, as well as the next steps for SUSY searches at the LHC.

Coffee will be provided.