[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Jan 5 05:00:03 PST 2012

Date/Time: Thu 2012-01-05 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Rishi Sharma (TRIUMF)

Title:     An effective theory for the neutron star inner crust

Abstract: The inner crust of a neutron star is expected to feature a lattice of neutron rich nuclei in a sea of unbound neutrons. The unbound neutrons form pairs and are superfluid. I will describe a low energy effective theory describing the dynamics of this phase of dense matter, applicable up to temperatures of about a billion Kelvins. Using the theory, we calculate the heat conductivity due to superfluid phonons, a collective mode of the superfluid neutron gas, and find that their contribution can be important for magnetized neutron stars. The low energy thermal and transport properties of this phase can be written in terms of the coefficients of the low energy theory and hence it can provide a unifying framework to calculate these properties.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.