[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Jan 12 05:00:04 PST 2012

Date/Time: Thu 2012-01-12 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Jeremy Holt (TU Munich)

Title:     Chiral nuclear dynamics and applications with three-body forces

Abstract: We employ realistic two- and three-nucleon interactions, derived within the framework of chiral effective field theory, to study the properties of finite nuclei and infinite
nuclear matter in many-body perturbation theory.  For this purpose, it is convenient to utilize renormalization group methods to evolve the nuclear potentials down to a resolution scale at which they become universal and perturbative. Emphasis will be given to the importance of the
leading-order chiral three-nucleon interactions and how their implementation in nuclear many-body calculations may be facilitated by employing alternatively density-dependent two-nucleon forces.  Applications to finite nuclei include the description of the anomalously-long beta-decay lifetime of carbon-14 and the construction of microscopic nuclear energy density functionals.  We then turn to a description of infinite nuclear matter which we study within the framework of Landau's theory of normal Fermi liquids.