[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Jan 24 05:00:04 PST 2012

Date/Time: Tue 2012-01-24 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Matthew Lightman (Washington University)

Title:     Light quark physics from the lattice and the CKM matrix

Abstract: Lattice gauge theory (LGT) is a first principles method for
calculating the non-perturbative effects of the strong interaction.
The action is discretized on a lattice of points in space-time and
physical quantities are computed numerically using the path integral.
This approach has been useful in a variety of areas, but I will focus
on the light quark sector where LGT can be used to interpret precision
measurements of masses and decay processes.  This allows us to test
the important theoretical constraint of unitarity in the CKM matrix,
thus probing the possibility of new flavour physics beyond the Standard
Model.  I will present results from work on light pseudoscalar masses
and decay constants, as well as work on kaon to two pion decays.