[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 11:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Jul 23 05:00:05 PDT 2012

Date/Time: Mon 2012-07-23 at 11:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Anuj Parikh (Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya and Institut de Estudis Espacials de Catalunya)

Title:     Constraining nucleosynthesis in thermonuclear astrophysical explosions

Abstract: Classical nova explosions, Type I X-ray bursts and Type Ia supernovae are astrophysical phenomena characterized by explosive burning. Reliable thermonuclear reaction rates are required to constrain model predictions of the nucleosynthesis in these environments. We discuss studies that have been performed to identify those rates that most significantly affect observable properties of these explosions. As well, we review recent experimental efforts to better determine the necessary rates. Provocative suggestions for future experiments will be presented.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.