[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Accelerator Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Wed Oct 31 05:00:03 PDT 2012

Date/Time: Wed 2012-10-31 at 14:00

Location:  ISAC II Conf. Rm.

Speaker:   Eric Chapman and Angela Hoiem (TRIUMF)

Title:     Reports from the 2012 Workshop on Accelerator Operations --- Part II

Abstract: 1. "Benefits of Beam Development Shifts"
     Eric Chapman

Abstract: Over time standardized tuning procedures have been informally agreed upon in TRIUMF's
520MeV Cyclotron Operations group. However as accelerated beam currents have been increasing,
the need for new adaptive tuning techniques have become evident. Despite our facilities lower
operating currents than others, damage can still occur to instrumentation or unnecessary
radiation hazards can be created by errant accelerated beam. Operations spends the most time
tuning our cyclotron and are quite good at “tuning on the fly” but at TRIUMF we have a group
of beam physicists that are sometimes quite helpful to operations. This is where development
shift planning comes into play. New tuning techniques are tested or more often than not problems
in the machine are found. These shifts between beam physicists and Operations play a critical
role in the long term stability of Cyclotron beam delivery.

2."Benefits of Operator Participation in Accelerator Workshops"
    Angela Hoiem

Abstract: An overview of lessons learnt from participating in WAO. Highlights from session talks
will be presented with focus on "Operator Development". The ways in which Operators benefit from
attending workshops will also be discussed.