[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Jan 22 05:00:03 PST 2013

Date/Time: Tue 2013-01-22 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Jean-Francois Fortin (CERN/Stanford)

Title:     Scale Invariance and Conformal Invariance

Abstract: We investigate the theoretical implications of scale without conformal invariance in quantum field theory.  We show how dilatation generators do generate dilatations and argue that RG flows of such theories correspond to recurrent behaviors, i.e. limit cycles or ergodicity.  We discuss the implications for the a-theorem, and use Weyl consistency conditions to show that scale implies conformal invariance.  Finally, we clarify the necessary and sufficient conditions for conformality and present new types of conformal field theories.