[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Feb 12 05:00:03 PST 2013

Date/Time: Tue 2013-02-12 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Hyun-Chul Kim (Inha University)

Title:     Charge and Spin structures of the nucleon

Abstract:
The electromagnetic (EM) form factors of the nucleon are the fundamental observables that encode the charge and magnetic distributions of quarks inside a nucleon. A series of recent measurements of the EM form factors has renewed the understanding of the internal structure of the nucleon and has posed fundamental questions about the nonperturbative nature of the nucleon structure. In particular, the data are in conflict with the predicted scaling of the EM form factors from perturbative QCD. The precise experimental data for the electromagnetic form factors lead also to the flavor decomposition of the nucleon EM form factors. In addition to the EM form factors, there are now empirical data for the transversity of the nucleon, which shed light on the transverse spin structure of the nucleon.
Being motivated by recent experimental development, we review recent works on the charge, magnetization, and spin structures of the nucleon, based on the SU(3) chiral quark-soliton model (XQSM). We first discuss the results of the nucleon and flavor-decomposed EM form factors, comparing them with the recent data. We then discuss the transverse charge and magnetization distributions of quarks inside a nucleon, as viewed from a light-front moving towards a transversely polarized nucleon. In the second part of the present talk, We discuss the tensor charges and form factors of the nucleon in comparison with the results from lattice QCD. The transverse spin densities of quarks inside a nucleon are also discussed.