[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Feb 12 05:00:03 PST 2013

Date/Time: Tue 2013-02-12 at 14:00

Location:  NRC Building, Rm1310

Speaker:   Teppei Katori (MIT)

Title:     Test of Lorentz and CPT violation with Neutrino oscillation experiments

Abstract: Lorentz violation is a predicted signal from Planck scale physics.  Since neutrino oscillation experiments are natural interferometers, they may be sensitive to small space-time effect, such as Lorentz violation through their sidereal time dependence. The sensitivity is comparable to precision optical measurements (10E-19 GeV). Thus, neutrino oscillations may be the first place where we see Lorentz and CPT violation.

Recently the MiniBooNE neutrino oscillation experiment published electron and anti-electron neutrino appearance oscillation results that cannot be understood within the accepted three-massive-neutrinos oscillation model. In this talk, I will introduce Lorentz violation and Lorentz violating neutrino oscillations. And I examine whether the MiniBooNE data may be explained through a Lorentz violation model. Then, I will discuss the recent Lorentz violation analysis result from the Double Chooz reactor oscillation experiment.  Finally, I discuss how these results and other Lorentz violation tests address the superluminal neutrino observation from OPERA experiment.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.