[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 21 05:00:02 PDT 2013

Date/Time: Thu 2013-03-21 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Peter Kammel (University of Washington, Seattle)

Title:     Precision Muon Capture Experiments at PSI

Abstract: At present we are at the confluence of two exciting developments in the field of muon capture. For the first time, experiments on hydrogen and the lightest nuclei are approaching sub-percent precision based on the novel active target technique developed by our collaboration, surpassing the precision of earlier data by about an order of magnitude. At the same time, effective field theories have been systematically constructed to calculate electro-weak observables for the nucleon and basic few-body systems from first principles. The MuCap experiment clarifies a long-standing puzzle about the pseudoscalar coupling of the proton and provides a basic test of QCD symmetries.  In the case of deuterium, the MuSun experiment will allow a comprehensive test of the theoretical description of weak few-body reactions and will determine an essential low energy constant relevant for related astrophysics reactions of fundamental interest.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.