[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminar today at 14:30

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Mar 25 05:00:05 PDT 2013

Date/Time: Mon 2013-03-25 at 14:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Mats Selen (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)

Title:     The Evolution of Introductory Physics at the University of Illinois

Abstract: About 17 years ago we significantly changed the way we taught intro physics at UIUC. The innovation, which is hindsight seems almost trivial, was to define these courses in terms of their content and associated infrastructure rather than in terms of the faculty assigned to teach them. Having our courses rest on a solid departmental foundation rather than on the shoulders of faculty means that faculty have the time and freedom to innovate, making incremental yet significant improvements to these courses over time. In this talk I will discuss this evolution as well as several of the resulting innovations, including prelectures, just in time teaching, peer instruction, and a new approach to labs.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.