[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 28 05:00:02 PDT 2013

Date/Time: Thu 2013-03-28 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Robert Lillis (Space Sciences Laboratory at UC Berkeley)

Title:     The Nightside Ionosphere of Mars

Abstract: The night side ionosphere of Mars is known to be highly variable: essentially nonexistent in certain geographic regions, while at times nearly as strong as the photoionization-produced dayside ionosphere in others.  Particle precipitation, ionospheric chemistry, thermospheric winds and dynamic coupling of the inhomogeneous rotating planet-fixed crustal field with the draped interplanetary magnetic field, lead to a rich and still poorly understood electrodynamic environment.  I intend to give an overview of our knowledge of the Martian night side ionosphere, talk specifically about some recent work done by myself and colleagues and preview how the upcoming MAVEN mission will improve our understanding of this enigmatic environment.