[Triumf-seminars] Next week's TRIUMF Colloquium speaker Ari Belenkiy

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri May 3 08:45:27 PDT 2013

Dear TRIUMF Seminars subscriber,

Next week's TRIUMF Colloquium will be given by Ari Belenkiy of Simon Fraser University. Some information about his talk can be found below. If you would like to meet with him individually or in a group on Thursday May 9th, please send your preferred time(s) to davids at triumf.ca .

Thanks,

Barry

“The Waters I am Entering No One yet Has Crossed”:  Alexander Friedman and the Origins of Modern Cosmology

Ari Belenkiy (Simon Fraser University)

TRIUMF Auditorium, 14:00 Thursday May 9th

Ninety years ago, in 1922, Alexander Friedman (1888-1925) demonstrated for the first time that the General Relativity equations admit non-static solutions and thus the Universe may expand, contract, collapse, and even be born. The fundamental equations he derived still provide the basis for the current cosmological theories of the Big Bang and the Accelerating Universe. Later, in 1924, he was the first to realize that General Relativity allows the Universe to be infinite, thus adding another dimension to Einstein’s initial theory. Friedman’s ideas initially met strong resistance from Einstein, yet from 1931 the creator of General Relativity became their staunchest supporter.

I intend to describe Friedman’s little known topological and astronomical ideas of how to check General Relativity in practice and compare his contributions to those of Georges Lemaitre. Recently discovered corpus of Friedman’s writings in the Ehrenfest Archives at Leiden University sheds some new light on the circumstances surrounding the writing of his 1922 work and his relations with Paul Ehrenfest. I explain the origin of double “n” in Friedman’s name. Finally, I connect Friedman’s cosmological ideas with the 1998-2004 results of the astronomical observations that led to the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics.