[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue May 21 05:00:03 PDT 2013

Date/Time: Tue 2013-05-21 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Prashanth Jaikumar (Cal State Long Beach)

Title:     Using r-mode oscillations to constrain the equation of state for neutron stars

Abstract: Gravitational waves are a fundamental prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity, but have only been indirectly observed so far. Neutron stars are among the primary sources for these waves, which can be excited in a variety of ways, one example being the r-mode oscillations arising from the Coriolis force. For rotating neutron stars, r-modes probe the interior of the star, making them a penetrating probe of the equation of state for cold and dense matter, much as photons and dileptons are for the hot quark-gluon plasma. The challenge for theoretical r-mode calculations comes from the uncertainty in sources of viscous damping and friction within the neutron star fluid. We will examine a few of these sources in detail and estimate their relative importance for r-mode damping in different phases of cold and dense matter. Finally, we will compare our theoretical results for r-modes to observational constraints set by the high rotation speeds of some low mass X-ray binaries in order to constrain the equation of state for neutron star matter.