[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Oct 31 05:00:10 PDT 2013

Date/Time: Thu 2013-10-31 at 14:00

Location:  MOB Conference Room

Speaker:   Kai Hebeler (Technische Universität Darmstadt)

Title:     New frontiers in nuclear physics: from exotic nuclei to neutron stars

Abstract: Experiments at rare isotope facilities open the way to new exotic regions of the nuclear chart. In parallel, there are new theoretical advances in our understanding of nuclear forces and their applications to nuclei and nucleonic matter. The physics of neutron rich nuclei is key for the nucleosythesis of heavy elements and provides important insights to nuclear forces. Furthermore, simulations of neutron stars and supernovae require controlled constraints on the equation of state of dense matter. I will show how the interplay of chiral effective field theory, renormalization group methods and rapidly increasing computer power are enabling the development of novel many-body methods to successfully attack these problems. Nuclear three-body forces (3NF) are a current frontier in nuclear physics. They play an important role in neutron-rich systems, for halo nuclei, nuclei towards the driplines, and for neutron-rich matter. Motivated by the exciting role of 3N forces, I will discuss the status of the next-order 3NF in chiral effective field theory, which are completely predicted and therefore key for tests and improved precision of the theory. In particular, I will present a new framework that opens up the calculation of 3NF matrix elements, which will allow the first complete N3LO calculations in various few- and many-body frameworks.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.