[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Technical Seminar today at 16:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Nov 25 05:00:04 PST 2013

Date/Time: Mon 2013-11-25 at 16:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Fabio Altomare (D-Wave Systems)

Title:     A Superconducting Quantum Annealing Processor

Abstract: D-Wave Systems has implemented a processor based on Quantum Annealing (QA), an algorithm for finding the ground state of a system of interacting spins. The motivation for this approach lies both in the observation that many high-value problems can be cast in this framework and, as importantly, that the physical requirements for implementing such an algorithm with a large number of spins can be realized with currently available technology in a semiconducting foundry.

In this talk I will present an overview of a Quantum Annealing algorithm based on an array of spins implemented as superconducting flux qubits. I will describe the qubits, how they are coupled, and the classical superconducting  control circuitry which allows  problems to be posed to the processor.  Attention will also be devoted  to the discussion of a non-dissipative readout architecture, and its performance on a 512-qubit processor.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk. This presentation is brought to you by TRIUMF and the Joint Applied Physics Chapter of the IEEE.