[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Technical Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Feb 20 05:00:06 PST 2014

Date/Time: Thu 2014-02-20 at 13:00

Location:  MOB Boardroom

Speaker:   Dr. Alexander Khramov (Physics - U. Washington)

Title:     The Ultracold Lithium - Ytterbium System

Abstract: There is new interest in ultracold atomic physics in studying systems that contain both alkali and spin-singlet species. Such mixtures can be useful for production of a special class of ultracold molecules, for electron EDM measurements and others. I will discuss the motivation for this interest, and the work in our group to prepare and investigate the system comprised of ultracold lithium and ytterbium. In particular, I will focus on our recent creation of a trapped heteronuclear ground and metastable state atomic mixture as a precursor to molecule formation.