[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Wed May 7 05:00:04 PDT 2014

Date/Time: Wed 2014-05-07 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Rocky Kolb (University of Chicago)

Title:     The Decade of the WIMP

Abstract: The bulk of the matter in the present universe is dark. The most attractive possibility for the nature of the dark matter is a new species of elementary particle known as a WIMP (a Weakly Interacting Massive Particle). After a discussion of how a WIMP might fit into models of particle physics, I will review the current situation with respect to direct detection, indirect detection, and collider production of WIMPs. Rapid advances in the field should enable us to answer by the end of the decade whether our universe is dominated by WIMPs.

Refreshments will be served 15 minutes before the talk.