[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Nov 25 05:00:01 PST 2014

Date/Time: Tue 2014-11-25 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Ragnar Stroberg (TRIUMF)

Title:     Ab-initio calculations of open-shell medium-mass nuclei using IM-SRG with the shell model

Abstract: Developments over the past two decades in chiral effective field theory and renormalization group methods have enabled the quantitative connection between the properties of nuclei and the underlying QCD degrees of freedom. Until recently, these calculations have been restricted to light nuclei, which can be handled by the no-core shell model (NCSM), and to ground-state properties of nuclei near closed shells. In this talk, I will discuss the use of the in-medium similarity renormalization group (IM-SRG) technique to generate effective shell model interactions, allowing for the calculation of properties of both the ground-state and excited states of open-shell nuclei. I will also briefly discuss an example from knockout reactions as an illustration of how this method can potentially improve the analysis of experimental data.