[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Jan 19 05:00:02 PST 2015

Date/Time: Mon 2015-01-19 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Gunther Cronenberg (TU Vienna)

Title:     Slow neutrons and their role to test gravity

Abstract: Experiments in the research field of gravitation have experienced a renaissance. Modern astronomical observations clearly point to the existence of dark energy and dark matter – although their true nature and content remain a mystery. In addition, string theories provide a motivation to search for deviations from Newton’s Inverse Square Law. The compatibility of General Relativity and quantum field theories is not established. In various experiments, slow neutrons contribute to these questions. Such experiments profit from two ideal properties of neutrons – their neutrality and their extremely small polarizability.

Gravity experiments with neutrons cover a wide range from gravity phase shift measurements in neutron interferometers, tests of the equality of inertial and gravitational mass by scattering length measurements, the realization of a quantum bouncing ball with neutrons, dark matter and dark energy searches with gravity resonance spectroscopy with ultra-cold neutrons and so on...

In my talk, I will give an overview on recent activities and will focus on the qBounce experiment.