[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Feb 19 05:00:01 PST 2015

Date/Time: Thu 2015-02-19 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Bob Wiringa (Argonne National Laboratory)

Title:     Nuclei with Quantum Monte Carlo

Abstract: Ab-initio calculations of the structure of light nuclei, starting from "bare" two-nucleon interactions that fit NN scattering data, have become feasible over the last two decades using quantum Monte Carlo methods.  Three-nucleon interactions and two-body electroweak current operators are important additional inputs.  Present variational and Green's function Monte Carlo methods allow us to study nuclei up to A=12 with unprecedented accuracy.  Properties we can evaluate include binding and excitation energies and the relative stability of neighboring nuclei.  We can also study fine details like charge-independence-breaking and isospin-mixing, one- and two-nucleon densities in configuration and momentum space, electromagnetic moments and electroweak transitions and response, and nucleon-nucleus scattering.  Overall, we have made great progress in understanding how complicated aspects of nuclear structure arise from the pairwise interactions between individual nucleons.