[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 19 05:00:00 PDT 2015

Date/Time: Thu 2015-03-19 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Rachid Ouyed (University of Calgary)

Title:     Quark-Novae : Observational Evidence and Implications to High-Energy and Nuclear Astrophysics

Abstract: After a brief account of the physics of the Quark-Nova (explosive transition of a neutron star to a quark star due to quark deconfinement), I will discuss its implications and applications to High Energy and Nuclear Astrophysics. I will present observational evidence of the Quark-Nova in Super-Luminous Supernovae  and in the context of the origin of heavy elements (r-process nucleosynthesis). The Quark-Nova has the potential to provide new insight into  explosive astrophysical phenomena and the origin of some elements in the periodic table, by naturally combining the might of researchers in nuclear physics, sub-nuclear physics and astrophysics.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.