[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Apr 14 05:00:01 PDT 2015

Date/Time: Tue 2015-04-14 at 13:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Alessandro Roggero (INT)

Title:     Quantum Monte Carlo for Neutron Star Astrophysics

Abstract: Neutron stars are compact objects left behind after the aftermath of a core—collapse supernova explosion. The extreme physical conditions present in such objects offer an important stage to test microscopic theories behyond regimes accessible in terrestrial experiments, allowing to seek answers for important questions to both Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics like: What is the equation of state of dense matter? or Where are the r-process nuclei produced?

In order to use astrophysical observations to help answering these questions a great deal of modeling is required. In this talk I will present some of the work we are doing using Quantum Monte Carlo simulations to help contraining those models, in particular I will show how we can use our knowledge of the equation of state of neutron matter at low densities to constrain parameters used in Density Functional calculations and the importance of quantum effects in the cooling of the neutron star crust.