[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Nov 24 05:00:01 PST 2015

Date/Time: Tue 2015-11-24 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Beatrice Franke (Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics)

Title:     The search for the neutron electric dipole moment at PSI

Abstract: A permanent electric dipole moment of the free neutron (nEDM) would violate time and parity symmetry. Assuming the validity of the CPT theorem, this would also imply the violation of combined charge- and parity symmetry (CP-violation). CP-violation is of particular interest because it is strongly related to the matter-antimatter asymmetry of our universe, which is not yet fully understood. The nEDM experiment at PSI has been operating in 2015 with a world leading daily sensitivity, aiming at a new limit with the data collected in 2015 and 2016. In my presentation I would like to introduce the apparatus and the measurement principle, focussing on the different internal and external magnetometry systems and their importance for this high sensitivity experiment.