[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Apr 5 05:00:03 PDT 2016

Date/Time: Tue 2016-04-05 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Seminar Room

Speaker:   Mihai Horoi (Central Michigan University)

Title:     Double-beta decay, nuclear structure, and all that

Abstract: The elusive process of neutrinoless double-beta decay has been hunted by the scientific community for about 80 years, and the hunt intensified in the last years. If observed, it would add a new piece of information to the Standard Model of particle physics, namely that the neutrinos are identical with their antiparticles and  the lepton number is violated by two units. It could also indicate how to extend the Standard Model to include neutrino mass terms. In my talk I will review both the particle physics and nuclear structure aspects of this interesting process.