[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Wed May 4 05:00:02 PDT 2016

Date/Time: Wed 2016-05-04 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Steven Larson (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center)

Title:     Theranostics: The future of nuclear medicine

Abstract: Theranostics is the use of the same molecular moiety for a combination of diagnosis and therapy.  Radiotracers lend themselves to theranostics, because it is simply a matter of scaling up the dose,  from diagnosis to therapy, in some important instances.  A case in point would be the use of 124I for quantitative imaging, staging and diagnosis, in a patient who will subsequently be treated with 131I, for thyroid cancer.  Other examples include the use of radiolabeled antibodies such as 124I-3F8 (an anti-GD2, antigen) at a low level for diagnosis, and then scaling up for therapeutic effect.  PET imaging, and in some intstaces quantiative SPECT imaging, are the normal diagnostic imaging agents employed.