[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Dec 15 05:00:02 PST 2016

Date/Time: Thu 2016-12-15 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Ryan Patterson (Caltech)

Title:     Next questions in neutrino physics and the NOvA and DUNE experiments

Abstract: Non-zero neutrino mass brings with it new complexity in the neutrino sector, and major questions surrounding neutrino masses and mixing remain unanswered. Among the unknowns are the ordering of the neutrino masses, key details of flavor mixing, and whether neutrinos respect CP symmetry. NOvA, a long-baseline neutrino oscillation experiment sited along Fermilab's NuMI neutrino beam, will address these questions and more. NOvA recently began full operations with its 14-kton detector and will continue through this decade. After a review of the physics context, I will discuss NOvA's experimental design, physics program, and recent oscillation results. I will also introduce DUNE, an ambitious next-generation experiment for neutrino physics and proton decay.

Please contact seminar at triumf.ca if you would like to meet with the speaker.