[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Nuclear Physics Seminar today at 15:30

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Jan 16 05:00:02 PST 2017

Date/Time: Mon 2017-01-16 at 15:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Angelo Calci (TRIUMF)

Title:     The nuclear force imprints revealed in the mirror systems $^{11}$Be and p+$^{10}$C.

Abstract: The accurate description and measurement of exotic nuclei and nuclear reactions constitutes an interesting avenue in nuclear physics.
On the theory side the rapid developments to construct divers families of chiral two- (NN) and three-nucleon (3N) interactions and the conceptual and technical improvements of ab initio many-body approaches pose a great opportunity to study these systems.
We present a sensitivity analysis of structure and reaction observables to different NN+3N interactions in $^{11}$Be and n+$^{10}$Be as well as the mirror p+$^{10}$C scattering using the ab initio no-core shell model with continuum (NCSMC).
In particular, the theoretical prediction of the diffraction-pattern shape for the proton scattering on $^{10}$C as well the n+$^{10}$Be halo structure and the ground-state parity inversion in $^{11}$Be are enormously challenging for the developments of nuclear forces and many-body approaches.

We demonstrate, that these exotic systems can discriminate between the present nuclear forces and identify promising NN+3N interaction candidates that provide an accurate description. Using these forces, we compare calculated E1-transition rates between the $^{11}$Be bound states to recent measurements at TRIUMF and predict low-lying 3/2+ and 9/2+ resonances in $^{11}$Be that are not or not sufficiently measured in experiments.

Brief introduction by G. Hackman on experimental perspective:  recent p(10C,p) and  197Au(11Be,11Be*) scattering experiments