[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Mar 30 05:00:02 PDT 2017

Date/Time: Thu 2017-03-30 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Alejandro Garcia (U Washington)

Title:     Cyclotron radiation detection as a tool for studying nuclear beta decay

Abstract: Chirality plays a fundamental role in the Standard Model, where the charged weak current is modeled as purely left handed. Models for new physics naturally break this symmetry so sensitive searches for chirality-flipping interactions could be a powerful tool for discovery.

We will discuss a proposal for a sensitive search for chirality-flipping interactions by measuring the shape of the beta spectrum of 6He. We plan to use the technique of cyclotron radiation emission spectroscopy (CRES) recently demonstrated by the Project 8 collaboration, extending its use to the broader range of electron energies of the 6He beta decay.

We will also discuss other possible applications including experiments that could be carried out at ISAC.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.

Please contact seminar at triumf.ca if you would like to meet with the speaker.