[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue May 9 05:00:02 PDT 2017

Date/Time: Tue 2017-05-09 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Francesco D'Eramo (UC Santa Cruz)

Title:     You can hide but you have to run: new theory tools to unveil the mystery of dark matter

Abstract: The origin and composition of 85% of the matter in the universe is completely unknown. Among several viable options, Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs) are motivated dark matter candidates that can be tested by different and complementary search strategies. Crucially, different searches probe WIMP couplings at different energy scales, and such a separation of scales has striking consequences in connecting different experimental probes. I will apply quantum field theory techniques to introduce new theoretical tools that allow to correctly account for the mis-matching energy scales. With this formalism in hand, I will illustrate how crucial the inclusion of these effects in WIMP searches is, and I will conclude with prospects for future WIMP searches and a few examples of recent ideas for testable dark matter candidates beyond the WIMP paradigm.