[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 11:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Wed Aug 30 05:00:03 PDT 2017

Date/Time: Wed 2017-08-30 at 11:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Wolfgang Rau (Queen's University)

Title:     The Future of Cryogenic Dark Matter Search in Canada

Abstract: Although we have known since decades that the matter content of the universe is dominated by a form of matter that differs fundamentally from the atomic matter we are used to and that does not interact with electromagnetic radiation - hence called dark matter - we have yet to identify what its nature is. Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs) in the mass range of 10s to 100s of GeV have long been considered as one of the most attractive particle candidates to solve this dark matter mystery. In part due to the absence of any hint for new physics from LHC the search range is being increased and in particular candidate particles with masses below 10 GeV and down to the MeV region receive more attention.
The Super Cryogenic Dark Matter Search experiment (SuperCDMS) is uniquely positioned to explore this lower mass range due to the low energy threshold and excellent energy resolution of the cryogenic solid state detectors employed. The next phase of SuperCDMS is presently being built and installed at SNOLAB with an expected start of operation in 2020. Future upgrades are aiming at reaching the ultimate sensitivity which will be limited only by the irreducible background from solar neutrinos.
This presentation will describe the SuperCDMS technology, the planned implementation at SNOLAB and the status of the experiment. Emphasis will be given to the Canadian contributions, including the new Cryogenic Underground TEst facility (CUTE) presently being installed at SNOLAB.

Stimulants available 15 minutes before the talk.