[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 13:30

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri Sep 29 05:00:00 PDT 2017

Date/Time: Fri 2017-09-29 at 13:30

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   PSD Mixer (TRIUMF)

Title:     Physical Sciences Division Mixer

Abstract: Jens Dilling - PSD updates (10 minutes);

Jens Dilling - Q&A (15 minutes);

Nick Esker (25 minutes);
Progress on the EMMA Spectrometer

Abstract: The ElectroMagnetic Mass Analyser (EMMA) is a new experimental facility at TRIUMF.  Located in the ISAC-II experimental hall, EMMA is a symmetric vacuum mode mass spectrometer capable of separating the recoiling nuclear reaction products from the beam based on mass/charge. The spectrometer is designed for fusion evaporation and transfer reactions of interest in nuclear structure and astrophysics studies. During a successful commissioning run in Dec. 2016, the dispersion and resolving power were measured and found to agree with ion optical calculations. In this talk, I will present an overview on the design and capabilities of EMMA, discuss the ongoing progress in our conditioning and testing of the spectrometer's behavior, and mention the planned future experiments.  As EMMA is starting its experimental life at TRIUMF, please come see what we have in store!