[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Seminars this Week

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Jan 15 14:32:12 PST 2018

Date/Time: Wed 2018-01-17 at 14:30
Location: ISAC II Conf Rm

Speaker: Sam Samida-Pugh (Progressive Fusion Solutions)
Title: Inertial Electrostatic Confinement and the Future of Feasible Fusion

Abstract: Fusion research in today’s world has been focused mainly on two
technologies which are magnetic confinement fusion and inertial
confinement fusion. However, there is another method which has been
hidden largely from mainstream research, despite the potential it holds
to produce energy; that method is Inertial Electrostatic Confinement
(IEC). IEC fuses atoms through the use of electric fields within a
vacuum and holds promise not only in the generation of power, but in
explosive detection and medical isotope production as well. In this
seminar, Sam Samida-Pugh, CEO of Progressive Fusion Solutions (PFS),
will be going over the advantages, applications, and principles of IEC,
all while introducing how him, and his team at PFS, plan to do so.

Date/Time: Thu 2018-01-18 at 14:00
Location: Auditorium

Speaker: Marialuisa Aliotta (University of Edinburgh)
Title: Low Energy Nuclear Astrophysics: Studying Stars Underground

Abstract: Unlike powerful explosive scenarios such as supernovae, novae, and X-ray bursts, quiescent stellar evolution is governed by nuclear reactions between stable nuclei that take place at the lowest thermal energies, well below the Coulomb barrier of interacting nuclei. When trying to reproduce these processes in terrestrial laboratories, we are faced with tremendous experimental challenges that require the use of dedicated setups ideally in an underground environment to maximise the probability to detect rare events.

In this talk, I will present recent updates from the investigation of nuclear reactions that occur in various astrophysical sites and during different stages of stellar evolution. I will underline the challenges faced in each and review upcoming opportunities for future scientific advances.