[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri Mar 2 19:06:37 PST 2018

Date/Time: Thu 2018-01-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Marialuisa Aliotta (University of Edinburgh)

Title:     Low Energy Nuclear Astrophysics: Studying Stars Underground

Abstract: Unlike powerful explosive scenarios such as supernovae, novae, and X-ray bursts, quiescent stellar evolution is governed by nuclear reactions between stable nuclei that take place at the lowest thermal energies, well below the Coulomb barrier of interacting nuclei. When trying to reproduce these processes in terrestrial laboratories, we are faced with tremendous experimental challenges that require the use of dedicated setups ideally in an underground environment to maximise the probability to detect rare events.

In this talk, I will present recent updates from the investigation of nuclear reactions that occur in various astrophysical sites and during different stages of stellar evolution. I will underline the challenges faced in each and review upcoming opportunities for future scientific advances.