[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri Mar 2 19:06:54 PST 2018

Date/Time: Fri 2018-01-26 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   PSD Mixer (TRIUMF)

Title:     PSD Mixer

Abstract: Jens Dilling - Division updates (10 minutes)

Q&A with Jens (15 minutes)

Talk by Rob Kiefl (20 minutes)

Discussion period w/pizza (30 minutes)

--

Rob Kiefl (UBC)

"Developments in muSR and beta-NMR and the 2017 Yamazaki Prize"

In this talk I will review some highlights of our efforts to explore and understand the behaviour of muons and radioactive nuclei in condensed matter, as well as the unique information these probes provide. Many of the scientific advances in the use of muSR and beta-NMR are closely connected to technical developments made here at TRIUMF. In the first part of my career we developed a powerful new method to study behaviour of muonium (mu+e-) in semiconductors and learned many surprising things about muonium - its electronic structure and relationship to hydrogen. Hydrogen is present in all semiconductors and can alter its properties. Most of the information we have on isolated hydrogens comes indirectly through studies of the muonium. The second part of my career began with the discovery of high temperature superconductors in the late 1980's. Suddenly the larger condensed matter physics community realized the importance of muSR in studies of superconductivity and magnetic parent compounds from which they came. New high field methods were first developed here which allowed us to obtain detailed information on the link between magnetism and superconductivity in high Tc superconductors. For the last part of my career I have worked on developing beta-detected NMR as probe of thin films and interfaces using the unique low energy polarized beams of radioactive nuclei at ISAC. Beta-NMR is almost identical to μSR in principle but the longer lifetime of 8Li allows one to probe the system on a very different time scale. Also, the low energy of ISAC radioactive beams means that beta-NMR is ideally suited to studies of thin films and interfaces.