[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 15:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Nov 22 05:00:00 PST 2018

Date/Time: Thu 2018-11-22 at 15:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Stephanie Simmons (Simon Fraser U)

Title:     The International Race for a Quantum Computer

Abstract: Silicon transistors, the essential building block of most modern electronic devices, cannot shrink much further without being rendered inoperable by quantum mechanics. This classical-quantum threshold in fact presents a tremendous opportunity: if we harness quantum mechanics, rather than attempt to avoid it, we could build a quantum computer. Quantum computers will open up a world of opportunities -- they could accomplish certain computational tasks exponentially faster which would otherwise be forever impractical. During this lecture, Dr. Simmons will discuss various quantum computing approaches, including her own all-silicon approach, how quantum technologies will change our lives in a very fundamental way, and provide a snapshot of the accelerating worldwide race to build a prototype.

https://mediasite.audiovisual.ubc.ca/Mediasite/Play/da071b9a9da64d7784e3fd983ea84c021d

Note special time!