[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Accelerator Seminar today at 15:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Jan 24 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Thu 2019-01-24 at 15:00

Location:  ISAC2 conference

Speaker:   Dr. Stefan Kaiser (MPI Solid State Physics & U Stuttgart)

Title:     Higgs Spectroscopy in superconducting Cuprates using high field THz pulses

Abstract: talk on the THz results we got from TELBE in Dresden performing "Higgs Spectroscopy in superconducting Cuprates using high field THz pulses"  The focus is on the material sciences but it shows the potential of measuring complex fields in the THz. I can change focus a bit more to the spectroscopy.

Background to Prof. Kaiser:

Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Nano-Optics
We search for new ways of manipulating modern quantum materials using strong ultrashort light pulses in order to control emergent physical properties and find new functionalities of dynamically driven matter.
The Ultrafast Solid State Spectroscopy group is a joint Research Group of the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research and the Department of Physics at the University of Stuttgart. The research interest is ultrafast spectroscopy of strongly correlated electron materials, and novel quantum materials. The group applies advanced nonlinear optical methods such as ultra-broad band pump-probe spectroscopy not only to investigate ultrafast dynamics in complex solid-state materials but also to control them with light. Combining these methods with high-resolution optical near-field microscopy we can access such dynamics even with sub-wavelength resolution down to the nanoscale.

One research focus is the light induced superconductivity in high temperature superconductors. We investigate different scenarios like the balancing between competing phases triggered by ultrashort light pulses or explore possibilities of dynamical stabilization in periodically driven light fields. The latter relates directly to another main research field of the group: Quantum many body dynamics in correlated electron materials. We use advanced quantum materials, e.g. organic conductors and superconductors, as model systems to investigate the ultrafast dynamics of electronic correlations and their coupling to external excitations. We aim tracing the dynamics of the system directly on the time-scale of the effective electronic interactions. In order to control such systems we use mode selective driving of local (molecular) vibrations that allows us modulating the effective interactions and induce quantum quenches in solid state Mott systems.