[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Feb 7 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Thu 2019-02-07 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Stefano Profumo (UC Santa Cruz)

Title:     What is the Dark Matter?

Abstract: Four fifths of the matter in the universe consist of something completely different from the "ordinary matter" we know and love. I will explain why this "dark matter" is an unavoidable ingredient to understand the universe as we observe it, and I will describe what the fundamental, particle nature of the dark matter could possibly be. I will then give an overview of strategies to search for dark matter as a particle, describe a few examples of possible hints of discovery, and outline ways forward in this exciting hunt.