[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Mar 26 05:00:00 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Tue 2019-03-26 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Volodymyr Takhistov (UCLA)

Title:     New Venues in Formation and Detection of Primordial Black Hole Dark Matter

Abstract: Primordial black holes (PBHs) provide an attractive non-particle dark matter (DM) candidate. I will present a novel PBH production mechanism that can appear generically in models with scalar fields and that avoids the usual issue of fine-tuning related to inflation. Recent re-evaluations of PBH constraints suggest that the open parameter space for PBHs to constitute all of dark matter is appreciably larger than previously thought. As I will show, compact stars can serve as laboratories to probe it. The variety of resulting novel astrophysical signals are of particular interest to the vibrant field of multi-messenger astronomy. More-so, PBH-star interactions suggest an elegant resolution to some of the most puzzling questions in astrophysics, such as the origin of gold and other heavy elements. I will also briefly discuss a potential new generic signal from regular neutron star mergers.

Note change of date!