[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Lecture Series Seminar today at 12:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon May 13 05:00:00 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Mon 2019-05-13 at 12:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Olivia Di Matteo (TRIUMF)

Title:     Introduction to quantum computing and quantum annealing (3/4)

Abstract: Over the past decade quantum computing technology has evolved from devices in a lab with a handful of qubits to commercial machines with a few dozen qubits accessible in the cloud. Quantum computing promises efficient simulation of quantum systems and speedup to algorithms like factoring, searching, and certain machine learning applications, that would not be possible using conventional classical computers. There is great potential for applications in particle and nuclear physics that are beginning to be explored using the current-generation quantum hardware.

In this set of seminars, I will cover the basics of the two main paradigms of quantum computing, gate-model computing and quantum annealing, with a mixture of lecture and software demonstrations. I will highlight some successful applications in particle physics and quantum simulation. Days 1 and 2 will focus on gate-model, or 'universal' quantum computing; days 3 and 4 will discuss adiabatic quantum computing and quantum annealing with the D-Wave.

I assume prior knowledge of basic quantum mechanics and linear algebra; no quantum computing experience is required. To follow along with the demos, I encourage you to bring a machine with Python installed (preferably the Anaconda distribution). We will use Jupyter notebooks, IBM Qiskit libraries and D-Wave's Ocean SDK.

Detailed syllabus:
https://triumfoffice365-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/odimatteo_triumf_ca/EYSvpH-V5NpDoOCiuVigDaMBTd_bDRE1qyG9qWNB6-x_pw?e=M5c0Ih

Lecture 3 of 4